Saturday, August 14, 2010

This week started off with a bang, so to speak. It was an incredibly windy evening. I woke up on Monday morning at about 1:30 am to the sound of a 4 year old (our base leaders’ son) running up the hill yelling, “THERE’S A FIRE”. Startled out of sleep, I jumped out of my bed and ran to the front door to let in our base leader’s wife and their 3 kids. She told me that there was a brush fire that was burning out of control and was close enough to their house (about 1/8th of a mile from the place where all the students sleep) that sparks were flying onto their roof. Most roofs here are made of thatch, so if a spark caught fire, it would mean the end of the house in no time. All the guys were outside at the fence line do what they could, which was nothing really, to keep the fire from coming closer. I called my prayer warriors back home (thanks for your prayers, guys!) and those of us that were up gathered around for some prayer. About 30 minutes later the guys returned with the base leader and our guest speaker and let us know the fire department (didn’t know Swaziland had a fire department!) had arrived and would be fighting the fire.

It was awesome to find out that the fire burned up to the road, then stopped and turned the other way. It never jumped over the road and came onto the base. What an answer to prayers!!

I had an amazing God moment this week. Each Friday we do outreach where we either go to the government hospital to pray for people or we walk around the “neighborhood” pray for people. Last week we started walking up to a house that had a few women sitting around and a bunch of kids running around. As we were walking up I got that sense that one of the women sitting there was longing for the love of Jesus. I brushed it off, but as we started talking to her, I realized that it was completely true. She asked a few questions, but I could sense her uneasiness with wanting to ask them. In talking with her discovered she was 8 months pregnant.

On Sunday, my friend John and I were walking back from church, I had this sense that at some point we were supposed to go back and visit her and pray for her. I didn’t necessarily feel that we needed to pray for her on that day, but I knew we were supposed to return to her. Well, on Thursday she showed up at the YWAM base. She wanted to get some prayer because a prophet at her church (a Zionist church) told her that either she or her baby would die during birth unless she brought him a watermelon and fish and he would make a “potion” for her to drink and it would be ok. Eesh! John and I have been ministering to her and she will be joining us for church this Sunday.

Last night we ran out of water, then got it back. Then the electricity went out, so we lost water again. What an exciting evening. ; )

I am really enjoying the time here, the people, the classes. I’ve finally adjusted to living with a bunch of people. That helps deal with things a lot. Tomorrow I’m going to be making cheeseburgers and fries with the other American here. We are both missing hamburgers!

Blessings to you all! I love and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing to hear your stories and to have the opportunity to partner with you in prayer for your needs and the needs of the people you meet. Thank you Jesus for protecting the YWAM base during the fire and I pray for continued protection as there are more fires going on around them. And thank you Jesus that Michelle is able to minister to people living around the base...continue to use her.
    I hope the cheeseburgers and fries were a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete